Thornbury High School & Community Demonstration Pilot
The Thornbury High School and Community Demonstration Project aimed to establish and develop a Community Action Team working together to support young Indigenous student learning at school and develop a Parents, Family and Community Engagement strategy.
The project was developed in response to the findings of the Darebin Under 16 Report, that investigated issues of disengagement from school from young people in the region.
A strategy was developed with the school to involve parents support of student learning and engagement at school. The Community Action Team included indigenous parents from the school community in the action team to increase interest, participation and decision-making by parents in the education of their children and the school.
- The first phase of work was the development of the Darebin Under 16 Report, including data collection and recommendation.
Darebin Under 16 Project – “Improving Education Engagement” Download (PDF, 534 KB)
- Case Study Download (PDF, 465 KB)
- Thornbury High School
- Mission Australia
- City of Darebin
- Victorian Aboriginal Education Association Inc. (VAEAI)
- Local Aboriginal Education Consultative Group (LAECG)
- Indigenous parents representatives